In Flight - Enamel Swallow Brooch
The city of Newark played a major role in the design and manufacture of jewelry from the early 1800s through the 1950s. Innovative for the time as these manufacturers produced affordable jewelry for the middle-class American woman and man. During the peak Newark jewelers produced 90% of America’s 14k gold and 50% of its 18k jewelry. Among this group of major players in the jewelry manufacturing trade was the Carter Gough & Company also referred to as Carter Howe.
A most delightful example of the work of Carter Gough & Co. reveals itself in the guise of a 14k yellow gold brooch of a swallow in flight. Delicately detailed down to a pair of tiny garnet cabochon eyes, the realistic avian interpretation incorporates polychromatic enamel over gold. The hues of royal blue, hints of verdant green and iridescent yellow harken to the palette of Tiffany and of Mucha. Please note on the reverse the original brooch fittings and hanger for a watch or drop.
Date: Circa 1910.
Measurements: 1-1/2 inches (3.9 cm) in length by 11/16 of an inch (1.8 cm) in width. Weight of 3.4 grams (2.2 dwt).
Hallmarks: 14k; Carter Gough mark.
Note: All gemstones and diamonds are tested in our gemological laboratory. All metals are acid tested.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.