Edwardian Niello & Silver Locket
Niello is a deep black metal mixture which has been fused onto the surface of a metal object. The contrast can be striking with the shiny black inlay set against a metal such as silver. Although developed in antiquity, Niello had resurgence during the 19th and early 20th centuries.
This particular example of a round locket exemplifies how the decorative technique is so arresting. The silver locket is embellished with a checkerboard pattern of niello squares alternating with silver ones. Centered is a floral form crafted from rose gold and silver and assembled from circles and orbs. The configuration of the appliqué is in direct opposition of the linear design of adorning the locket surface. Please note that even the bale has been treated with the niello.
The interior reveals two compartments with one rim present with a modern plastic covering. The accompanying sterling silver curb chain is not original but well matched to the locket.
Date: Circa 1900.
Measurements: 1 inch (2.5 cm) in length including bale by 7/8 of an inch (2.2 cm) in width. Chain is 18 inches (45.7 cm) in length. Weight of 7.6 grams (4.9 dwt).
Hallmarks: Sterling on chain.
Condition: Excellent; some dark areas to interior easily covered with fabric. One rim present with modern plastic covering.
Origin: European and possibly English.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.