Antique Memento Mori Coffin Pendant
An astounding little relic of memento mori from the past comes to us in the form of a small wearable coffin of silver. Memento mori translates to remember death or the motto that we should be conscious that some day this too shall pass. Hinged so the lid raises, the form is tapered and slanted forward and the top is curved downward.
All along its outer surfaced of the sides are hand engraved patterns from tiny swags to vertical sharp sine waves of linear marks. The bottom reveals tiny feet as a casket or coffin would have had to rest upon the ground. Two distinct hallmarks hailing from the Netherlands can be see on the top and bottom of one side in the middle. (see photo 2 and 4). A few examples of this type of memento mori reside is various museums. At one time this most likely held a miniature skeleton. Very scarce.
Date: Circa mid to earlier 19th century.
Need a chain? Just ask us about our selection!
Measurements: 1-3/4 inches (4.5 cm) in length including original bale by 1/2 of an inch (1.2 cm) at the widest. Weight of 9.6 grams (6.2 dwt).
Hallmarks: 2 Netherlands dolphin marks.
Condition: Excellent; later modern bale.
Origin: The Netherlands.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.