Antique Niello & Silver Locket Pendant
The technique of Niello as decoration has an ancient history. A deep and lustrous blue-black amalgam of metals (typically silver, copper and other trace elements) is filled and fused into depressions of incised lines made by etching or engraving patterns in the metal. It is then sanded and buffed to a metallic sheen.
Nothing has a luster like Niello and this silver double box locket displays its ethereal glow. The rectangular hinged locket has rounded corners and its original bale of Niello stripes. Diagonal lines of a star pattern crisscross on both the front and back with the Niello design in excellent condition. The interior reveals two oval shaped compartments complete with rims and glass covers for a photograph or a special memento or treasured keepsake.
For additional examples of niello work refer to "Victorian Jewelry" by Dawes & Davidov. Although a number of examples appear throughout the text, many are on pages 48 - 53.
Date: Circa 1900.
Need a chain? Just ask us about our selection!
Measurements: 1-3/4 inches (4.4 cm) in length including bale by 1-1/8 of an inch (2.8 cm) in width. Weight of 16.4 grams (10.6 dwt).
Hallmarks: S&S maker's mark
Condition: Excellent and very fine.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.