Superlative Victorian Cut Steel Brooch
Cut steel has been a part of jewelry history since the mid 1700s. Although the name implies longevity, the material itself is rather ephemeral and frequently did not survive the centuries as steel is difficult to polish and can rust if mishandled. Initially, it was fashioned into jewelry to imitate the sparkle of diamonds but soon became a rage unto itself. It was especially popular from the 1850s until the end of the century.
Some of the most intricate jewelry made, the method is quite laborious and requires a certain skill level in which a metal base (typically brass) is pierced with holes and a separate piece of cut steel riveted in place.
This particular brooch is very bright and in top condition for cut steel. A modified pampille design, the pear shaped drops form a stylized cascade of articulated dangles. Superb in its construction, the brooch incorporates an unusual variety of shapes including the briolette configuration (an elongated pear shape with triangular facets) for the steel cut beads.
Date: Circa 1860.
Measurements: 3 inches (7.8 cm) in length by 1-3/4 inches (4.5 cm) in width. Weight of 16.7 grams (10.7 dwt).
Condition: Excellent; later hinge and pin stem of base metal.
Origin: Most likely European.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.