Sweet Victorian Scents: Antique Vinaigrette Locket
Although the concept pre-dates the label, the term "vinaigrette" was generally used during the late 18th century to describe a small container, worn or carried about the person which housed an aromatic substance or smelling salts. Although considered by some as a conceit to vanity, the object was an essential accessory for the daily activities of the Victorians which soon evolved from a functional item to a fashionable necessity.
Beautiful in its own right, this 18k yellow gold vinaigrette has been designed as a large oval shaped locket. The front is ornamented with an 8 mm almandine garnet in a gypsy setting with engraved rays emanating from the stone. Diagonal openwork bands with a motif of scrolling ivy symbolizing affection and friendship flank the centered gem. The locket still retains its original bale and a glass cover for the interior compartment is present.
Measurements: 2-1/2 inches (6.3 cm) in length including bale by 1-5/8 inches (3.5 cm) in width. Weight of 23.9 grams (15.4 dwt).
Condition: Excellent; light wear to back commensurate with age and use; closes tightly with light pressure.
Date & Origin: Circa 1880 and is most likely English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.