Bonnie Golden Thistle Hair Comb
For untold eons humans have decorated and adorned not only the body but also the hair. Whether applying a colored mud or a feather, Stone Age people have used hair combs to control and embellish. Combs made from boxwood dating back to 10,000 BCE have been found as some of the earliest examples of hair ornaments.
During the Victorian era quite a number of hairstyles “required” the use of a hair comb or hair pins. Here we have an example of a two prong comb made from blonde horn. Asymmetry and sinuous movement follow each curve and line of the comb. Embellishing the piece is a series of thistle plants long held as a symbol of Celtic nobility of character and birth as well as the national emblem of Scotland. Yellow gold of 18k has replaced the “traditional” purple of the plant.
Measurements: 5-1/2 inches (15.7 cm) in total length. Pointed comb area is 3-1/8 inches (7.7 cm) in length. The widest area is 2 inches (5.3 cm). Weighs 20.3 grams (13.1 dwt).
Condition: Excellent with one tiny area to the bottom back right prong about 1 inch up from the tip but does not effect stability.
Date & Origin: Circa 1880 and is English or Scottish in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.