Victorian Lava Antique Cameo - Cherub & Dog
For wealthy Victorians traversing “The Grand Tour of Europe” was viewed as a means of furthering education and broadening one’s exposure to the cultural fine arts. One of the highlights of The Tour was a visit to the ruins at Pompeii and the purchase of a souvenir made from the lava of Mount Vesuvius.
Framed in silver with appointments at each cardinal position, this treasure is fitted as a cameo brooch featuring a high relief sculpture of putty colored lava. It is finely carved in the manner closely resembling the style of Bertel Thorvaldsen—held as one of the greatest artists of the 19th century and oft compared to the master Antonio Canova. Embodying the style of the neoclassical period is a simple scene depicting the Roman god Cupid embracing a canine. The symbolism of this sentimental jewel is clear: loyalty & fidelity in the caress of love.
Measures over 1-3/4 inches in length by 1-5/8 inches in width (4.7 cm long by 4.2 cm wide). Pin mechanism, C clasp and pin stem are all original. Very good condition with warm patina to the silver mount. There is a natural hairline fissure inherent to the material in the dog’s body (only on the surface and not does impact on the integrity of the piece). Date to circa 1840.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.