Late 1940s and early 1950s jewelry began to take on a more tailored look. From the curvaceous and chunky profile or the previous era, fine items became slimmed down and platinum once again ruled.
Here we have an archetypal example of an engagement ring from that era with a twist. With a total carat of weight of .85 point, the centered transitional brilliant cut diamond of .63 carats (E-F color; VS1 clarity) is set in a traditional mounting.
On each side in a diagonal platinum panel six (6) diamonds flank the main diamond – a column of three (3) single cuts followed by two (2) baguettes stacked one upon the other terminating in an additional single cut in a lozenge bezel for a total additional diamond weight of an estimated .22 carats (G-H color, VS2-SI2 clarity). The split shoulders gently segue into a smooth as silk platinum shank.
The ring is accompanied by an EGL USA certificate for the diamonds which were graded and estimated in mounting.
Date: Circa 1950.