Victorian Antique Reverse Painted Dog Brooch
Mid to later 19th century found an interest with all things of nature, discovery and science. This is often reflected in the themes of jewelry – bugs, mammals, birds and nature. This is a stunning spaniel brooch in reverse painted glass. Reverse painting is exactly as it sounds, the back in painted on glass and when you turn it over you have an image (the reverse of how it was painted) on the underside of the glass. This is a lovely spaniel dog, most likely a Springer spaniel or similar breed. The painting is of remarkable detail, the dogs fur, his lively expression, the stick in his mouth, the realistic landscaping, all so captivating. Someone spent loving hours and hours painting this little fellow. It is in oval form and mounted in a sculptural gilt metal brooch. The bezel is plain with the surround links of textured gilt interspersed with spheres of metal. Measures a generous 1 ¾ inches wide by 1 3/8 high for the glass image and 2 3/16 wide total by 1 ¾ high. (5.5 cm wide by 4.5 cm high). In very good condition with some slight air pocket noticeable with close examination in the sky. Luckily this is nearly indistinguishable from the cloud motifs. This does not affect its integrity or commanding presence. Circa 1870 and of English origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.