Victorian Silver Bird Motif Necklace
This listing is for the chain only. Locket shown for illustration purposes see item 15824!
The Victorian bookchain was a necklace with rectangular links of folded metal each of which resembled a little book. The links were often elaborately engraved and frequently had a large locket attached.
This silver example suspends a series of medallions – one of a butterfly and all others alternating between birds and leaves. Each is hand engraved and each of the bird images are of different species. In evidence is a wading bird, a swallow, perhaps a robin red breast and another bird sporting a type of crest. Romantic in composition, laborious in creation, all manner of birds in flight or at rest, this necklace shows the avid Victorian interest in all things natural.
Note: The birds are oriented so that they can be seen by the observer when the necklace is worn with the large "O" fitting at the bottom. As noted, this type of chain was traditionally used to hold lockets thus the O fitting would rest at the bottom. For a potential matching locket see item 15824 (see photo).
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: 17-1/4 inches (43.8 cm) in length and is 7/8 of an inch (2.2 cm) at the widest. Weight of 48.2 grams (31.0 dwt).
Origin: Most likely English.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.