Marvelous Victorian Hair Work Locket
The world over, hair has been used to symbolize love and loss, intimacy and friendship. It survives and outlives the mortal human and represents an actual keepsake of a family member or a beloved individual. By the later years of the 19th century hair work evolved into a true fashion trend.
The Three Graces delights in presenting an example of the fine art of braided and plaited hair used in jewelry. Upon opening this gold plated locket which resembles a watch case, is a palette worked plaid design of the hair of two individuals. In all our years we have never seen this pattern of hair work.
Dark hair has been woven in such a manner as to appear to be diagonal and to cross over itself. Lighter brown and ash blond plaits have ingeniously been interwoven with the dark hair to create a complex plaid pattern.
Not to be outdone, the pendant is all over wonderful with ornamentation on the interior rim surrounding the hair work as well as on the exterior surfaces (back and front) and the bale accented with lovely patterns including a Celtic motif.
Date: Circa 1850.
Measurements: 1-1/2 inches (3.8 cm) in length including bale by 1-1/4 inches (3.1 cm) in width. Weight of 10.1 grams (6.5 dwt).
Condition: Excellent. There may have been a glass cover for the hair compartment, now deficient.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.