Victorian Italian Micro Mosaic Bird Earrings
Micro mosaics had a rebirth or renaissance of popularity in the mid to later 19th century. Victorians were once again traveling the Continent and found Italy to be particularly appealing. It is here in the land of the Romans that they became exposed to the art of the micro mosaic.
A micro mosaic utilizes unusually small colored glass tiles called tesserae are hand assembled to fashion extraordinarily complex and detailed patterns or images. This form is known as the Roman technique.
Here two birds in opposing stances are perched upon a patch of green and brown earth. In all, approximately one hundred tiny tesserae of varying colors have been used to create these detailed examples of two avian species. Set against backgrounds of black glass, these tiny treasures of the sky fit into a space smaller than that of the eraser of a pencil.
Appropriate to the era, 14k yellow gold twisted wire borders of varying diameters embellish the micro mosaics. In addition, later date 14k yellow gold ear wires have been added.
Date: Circa 1870.
Measurements: 3/4 inches (1.9 cm) in length including ear wire by 1/2 of an inch (1.2 cm) in width. Weight of 2.8 grams (1.7 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Excellent. Later ear wires added.
Origin: Italian for the mosaics.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.