Unusual Poesy Ring ca. 1700
Poesy rings come from an English tradition begun during the Middle Ages. Typically only available to those of noble and royal blood, these high carat gold rings were inscribed with a rhyme, aphorism or quaint saying and presented as a wedding band most commonly or given as a token of friendship.
Highly unusual, this is the first posy (poesy) ring we have seen with a series of patterns hand engraved within the poesy. "I Lyke My Choyse" is incised in a deep distinctive font easily read even from a distance. Between each word tiny x forms have been engraved. At the culmination of the phrase there is a mirror series of two sections of five curved vertical lines (north and south) which increase in length towards the center. The fabulous 20k yellow gold ring is quite broad with its 5 mm width.
For additional information about posie rings see the reference "English Posies and Posy Rings" Introduction by Joan Evans.
Date: Circa 1700.
Measurements: 3/16 of an inch (0.4 cm) in length north to south on the hand and rises 1/8 of an inch (0.2 cm) in height off the finger. Weight of 4.1 grams (2.6 dwt).
Ring Size: US 7-1/4 (UK P; Euro or Int. Circum. 56.3 mm; Int. Dia. 17.9 mm; Japan over 5). Due to the pattern ring cannot be sized down except with inserts but can be sized up to fit most. Ring sizing information.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.