Elegant Antique Guilloché Enamel Locket
The Edwardian Era had a resurgence of the type of decoration known as guilloché. The term is often misused in describing a method of enameling. In actuality, it is the technique or process of engraving a design or pattern onto the surface of metal using a type of machine known as an engine turning lathe or tour à guilloché. The specific label is applied when the engraving is then covered with translucent enamel.
This particular example of a double box locket of 14k yellow gold employs a color of enamel not usually seen – that of a deep teal grey. The locket itself is round in configuration and consisting of a series of pleated rays emanating from the center with what almost appears as an overlay of a spray of dots. Both the front and back of the paper thin double box locket is guillochéd. Finely constructed with a hidden hinge and concealed fingernail catch to open, the interior reveals an engraved date of F-E 1911 on one side and S H M on the other.
The locket is made by Carter Howe & Company, one of the major players in the national jewelry center of Newark, New Jersey.
Date: Circa 1911.
Ask us about a matching chain.
Measurements: 1-1/4 inches (3.2 cm) in length including bale by 1 inch (2.5 cm) in width. Weight of 9.7 grams (6.2 dwt).
Hallmarks: 14k; Carter, Howe mark.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.