Incomparable Georgian Black Dot Paste Earrings
Paste is a collective word used for cut leaded glass which has faceted to resemble gems or precious stones. “Invented” in the 18th century, paste was used extensively in jewelry and was incorporated into everything from coat buttons to resplendent brooches. Black dot paste is the penultimate form of paste. It is a paste stone with a tiny black dot painted on the underside of the stone – made to resemble the open culet of early diamonds.
This pair of cluster earrings personify what antique past jewelry represents – such refraction and prismatic colors which virtually burst forth with every subtle twist and turn. Each earring of silver is composed of a petal flowerhead of six shaped pastes and a surround of nineteen old mine cut shaped pastes. Every stone is so carefully and beautifully set that the bezel cups the stone tightly and securely. A scalloped silver perimeter and a flat back complete the period earrings. Modern yellow gold ear wires have been added.
For additional information about antique paste jewelry, please see our page of Reference – Helpful Terms & Glossary.
Date: Circa 1800.
Measurements: 1 inch (2.5 cm) in total length by 3/4 of an inch (1.9 cm) in width. Weight of 7.3 grams (4.7 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Excellent; later modern ear wires. Most likely converted from early buttons.
Origin: Possibly English.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.