Aesthetic Period Silver Locket Pendant
The later decades of the 19th century were referred to as The Aesthetic Period. Seen as a reaction against the prevailing “very English” Victorian style of the ornate and the traditional, the style was simple, new and decidedly influenced by Japanese design. The underlying moral and sentimental themes which so dominated that society were supplanted by what may be viewed as a cult dedicated to beauty and influenced by refined and sensuous delights.
What has come to be known as Japonisme is the use of motifs, objects and asymmetry presented almost as a Japanese observation on nature. Here we have a superb sterling silver double box locket appointed with rose gold over silver appliqués. Almost abstract, simple everyday objects such as flowers and leaves are set in a spatial arrangement emptied of most of its elements except for color and line. The background has a patina of silvery dark grey lending depth and detail. Even the bale gives a transcendental nod to the ideal. The interior reveals deep compartments suitable for two photographs or a treasured keepsake.
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: 2-1/2 inches (6.3 cm) in length including bale by 1-3/16 of an inch (3.0 cm) in width. Weight of 23.0 grams (14.8 dwt).
Hallmarks: Standard Silver.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.