Georgian Initialed Agate Amethyst Earrings
Beautifully proportioned, this pair of earrings is typical of the neoclassical period of Georgian jewelry circa 1790 – 1820 in which smooth very flat, planar backs are employed. Each of the earrings features a teardrop shaped agate of pumpkin orange and moss green with maroon hues set closed back. A border of 15k yellow gold frames the agate and separates it from a surround of twenty-four (24) natural amethysts in pinched collets and set closed back. Each reveals hand engraved initials to the reverse – one has the initials “IL” and the mate has two sets, most likely “MAS” and “AS”. Please note that the initials are upside down.
Perhaps you wonder why the earrings are initialed. Often jewelry was personalized with a monogram as we do today with shirts. In addition, pieces were sometimes annotated with initials for family members. The later reason is most likely the case for these earrings.
Date: Circa 1810.
Measurements: 1-1/4 inches (3.2 cm) in length including ear wire by 3/4 of an inch (1.9 cm) at the widest. Weight of 8.1 grams (5.2 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Excellent for the earrings; one earring has two amethyst with tiny chips; one chipped on the other – all only visible with magnification; later modern 10k yellow gold ear wires; these may have originated as part of a larger suite of jewelry.
Origin: Possibly English.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.