Victorian Niello Long Chain
Niello has a fascinating history which dates back to ancient Egypt. Quite popular in Italy, France and Russia, the demand for Niello work has been on the wane since the 1700s. There was, however a modest resurgence during the later years of the Victorian era.
More a process than a substance as the technique has several steps. Initially a minute pattern or decoration is incised into a metal surface. Then the mixture (an amalgam of one or more parts of silver copper and lead) would “fill in” the carved out areas and the object heated to harden the alloy. Voilà…the pattern takes on a silver blue-black luster with a look that shimmers like no other metal.
In its original glorious length of a grand 62 inches, this Victorian era long chain necklace has been constructed with the classic Figaro style links. Each set of links consists of two rose gold vermeil loop-in-loop links followed by a larger link of silver inset with Niello. The Niello links appear as though wrapped with a slender silver wire – actually each silver link has incised diagonal bands inserted with Niello. Closure is secure with the original large round Niello dog clip and spring clasp
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: 62 inches (157.4 cm) in total length. Weight of 43.3 grams (27.8 dwt).
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.