Edwardian Niello Silver Locket Pendant
Niello is an amalgam of metal which is typically black in color. Although a “substance”, the word is often used to described a decorative technique. The surface of a metal object is incised with an image or pattern by carving out the “background” or lowering the background field. Niello is then used as an inlay to fill in the backdrop.
This Edwardian era double box locket although large in size has a flat profile for wearing comfort. Constructed of sterling silver, a crosshatched or hounds tooth check design has been engraved on both the front and back of the oval locket. The interior reveals two compartments with rims for two photographs or a bit of ephemera.
Date: Circa 1900.
Measurements: 2-1/2 inches (6.3 cm) in length by 1-5/8 of an inch (4.2 cm) in width. Weight of 18.5 grams (11.9 dwt).
Condition: Excellent; very slight indentation on back visible from an angle, original yellowed plastic replaced with clear plastic photograph covers.
Origin: Most likely English or European.
Order Before 12/23 for Xmas! US Only
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Order By 12/23 for Xmas - US orders!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
For Non-Gift Purchases - Our Standard Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.