Georgian Rebus Fob "I Hope You Are Well"
Hailing from the heraldic tradition of the Middle Ages is a literary allusion device referred to as a rebus. Pictures are used to express either intended words or syllables which resemble the desired word or name. This form of apparatus (which often had a charming phrase engraved) was used to impress a “signature” or sign into wax to seal a letter or sign a document. Those which have a rebus included are particularly captivating and are quite scarce.
This small Georgian era 9k rose gold fob sports the following rebus carved into a matrix of chalcedony: pictorially is an eye, an anchor, a yew tree, the word “are” in script and a wishing well. This translates into “I hope (or wish) you are well”. The pictograph is carved as a mirror image to orient correctly when pressed into wax. For stability the base has been made with a combination of 9k gold and lead or similar heavier metal.
Date: Circa 1840.
Measurements: 7/8 of an inch (2.2 cm) in length by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) at the widest. Weight of 6.1 grams (3.9 dwt).
Origin: Most likely English.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.