Historical & Moving Berlin Iron Ring
In the early part of the 19th century Berlin iron was formed into jewelry to represent gold and silver jewelry donated to the war efforts of the Napoleonic wars. Some of the pieces were constructed into artistic and fanciful shapes; others were marked "Gold gab ich fur Eisen" (I have gold for iron) and were often quite plain.
The tradition was revived in 1914 during World War I by the German communities in both American and Europe. However, items were not donated to support the war but rather for the people most devastated by the war – widows and children. For more information read a moving and quite extraordinary article about these rings and the exceptional sacrifices people made for unknown individuals written October 1914 in the New York Times. Just email us for the link to the article.
Rimmed and lined with rose gold of 14k, this Berlin iron ring sports the famous phrase “Gold gab fur Eisen”, 1915 and Germanic type script for “OSR” or “OSK”.
Measurements: 1/4 of an inch (0.6 cm) in width. Weight of 3.5 grams (2.2 dwt).
Ring Size: US 7-1/2 (UK O-1/2; Euro or Int. Circum. 55.7 mm; Int. Dia. 17.7 mm; Japan 15). This ring should not be sized. Ring sizing information.
Condition: Very good; light wear to impressed letters.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.