The World on a String - Victorian Gold Earrings
Archaeological revival à la Victorian does these 14k yellow gold earrings proud. Known as “crotalia”, these Roman earrings are formed using a baton shaped rod from which two beads are suspended. The etiology comes from the tinkling or jangly sound of the crotalo – a simple percussive instrument similar to the sound of a rattlesnake.
Here two hollow golden orbs with surfaces encrusted with filigree of applied tiny wire circlets are suspended by gold corded rope. A cylindrical baton decorated with orbed terminals is threaded through the differently sized pendant bezels. Surmounting the baton is a half orb (with a flat back).
The earrings are a superb short to medium length and are a wonderful example of the inspiring detail in Victorian jewelry, e.g., the tiny knobs on each ball and the hinged ear wire at the top. Please note that the hinged wires and safety clasp are original to the earrings. Each earrings is different, so there is a left and right - so typical of the detail oriented Victorians. Wear them framing the face with orbs descending upward or downward.
Date: Circa 1870.
Measurements: 1-1/6 inches (3.2 cm) in length by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in width. Weight of 5.1 grams (3.3 dwt) for the pair.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.