Italian Antique Micro Mosaic Earrings
Archaeological influence and naturalistic inspiration gave jewelers of the Victorian age quite a fertile garden for ideas and designs. Combine that with a long history of Italian expertise in the production of micro-mosaics and fantastic pieces of art jewelry emerge. Please note that micro-mosaics are also referred to as “Roman mosaics”.
Micro mosaics most often were made into brooches and occasionally into earrings such as those depicted here. An oval shaped micro mosaic consisting of tesserae (tiny glass tiles) of vibrant colors are used to represent a realistic rendering of an insect from the suborder of Cyclorrhapha – more common known as the house fly.
Set against light colored backgrounds, even the most mundane of detail is depicted. The domed mosaic is set with a series of tiered 14k yellow gold bezels with twisted wire border inset, corded rope design and golden orbs accenting its archaeological influences.
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: 1-3/8 inches (3.5 cm) in length including ear wire and 1-1/6 inches without (2.7 cm) by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in width. Weight of 8.7 grams (5.6 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Very good; some minor indentations to reverse of both earrings; small silver solder at connection points to micro mosaic surrounds; modern ear wires.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.