Edwardian Angels: French Cherub Bracelet
France has an exceedingly complex system of hallmarking which dates back to the 14th century. Where and how items are marked may give information about weight, the town where the item was made, when it was made or whether it was imported into or exported out of France. While not all hallmarks are this informative or can be identified (due to age or minute size, wear and vastly complex imagery) the French system is truly fascinating.
This particular bracelet holds three marks, which clearly dates it to before 1919. Quite weighty, the piece has a solid (not hollow) construction of 18k yellow gold. Classically influenced empire styling characterizes eight oval medallions adorned with images of dancing putti or winged cherubs alternating with hymeneal or torches of love. Each panel has twisted wire borders and floral finishes. A tongue and groove clasp with safety chain ensures security on the wrist.
Date: Circa 1900.
Measurements: 7 inches (17.7 cm) in length by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in width. Weight of 45.2 grams (29.1 dwt).
Hallmarks: Horse head mark used in France from 1847-1919; an unidentifiable French mark.
Condition: Excellent; safety chain has a modern spring ring.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.