Clasped Hands: Antique Silver Fede Ring
The origins of the fede or “clasped hands” ring goes back to antiquity. In Roman times this type of ring was often referred to as Concordia – a reference to Concord, the goddess of harmony who was worshiped as the bringer of marital harmony. From the 12th through the 17th century it was a fairly common form of marriage ring and occasionally employed as a ring that represented friendship. Most were in silver or silver gilt, few in gold. The motif was seen again in the 19th and early 20th centuries and is still found today.
This Edwardian era fede ring in sterling silver is a superb example and is significantly more substantial and greater in weight than most. The clasped male and female hands separate and come apart to display two bands joined by a pivot fitting. In times past the pivot was broken and each of the betrothed couple was given a ring. This ring has a most becoming and comely modeling of the male and female hands replete with cuffs incised with leaf forms. Please note the wheat sheaf design of the top of one of the bands.
Date: Circa 1910.*
* En error on our part was made in listing the date of this ring. It actually dates via a patent number to Circa 1940. We had mistaken this number for a part number, not a patent number.
Measurements: 3/8 of an inch (1 cm) in length north to south on the hand and rises 3/8 of an inch (1 cm) in height off the finger. Weight of 4.8 grams (7.4 dwt).
Ring Size: US 7-1/4 (UK O; Euro or Int. Circum. 55.0 mm; Int. Dia. 17.5 mm; Japan over a 14). Sizing of this type of ring will be more costly. precise fit. Contact us for more information. Ring sizing information.
Hallmarks: Sterling; 2220408.
Condition: Excellent; light wear to each side high points of cuff design.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.