Crowned with a Victorian Garnet Hair Comb
The heyday for ornamentation of the hair was the Victorian era with the upsweep of a French twist or curls wound and twisted into a knot had to be finished with a jeweled hair comb or tiara.
Stately and grand, this tortoiseshell and garnet hair comb is larger than most with its five buttery caramel and cocoa colored prongs. Even the Bohemian garnets have a large table (flat top surface) with faceted sides and base as compared to the usual small almost rose cuts used in some of the garnet pieces of the time.
Arranged in delicate curvilinear designs characteristic of Islamic ornamentation and tantalizing floral patterns, two hundred thirty-four (234) Bohemian garnets set in gold over base metal display their superb deep port wine color. The hinged comb is quite versatile as an accessory and can be worn as a tiara, as a hair comb at the crest or in back of the head. Collectible for display or wear.
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: Garnet decorative area is 1-5/8 inches (4.2 cm) in length by 4 inches (10.2 cm) in width. Tortoiseshell comb is 3-7/16 inches (8.8 cm) in length by 1-3/4 inches (4.6 cm) in width. Weight of 35.8 grams (23.1 dwt).
Condition: Excellent; a few garnets with minute chips visible with magnification.
Origin: European in origin and most likely from the Bohemian region of the Czech Republic.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.