Victorian Tortoiseshell Cherub Brooch
Cherubs have been portrayed in various forms ranging from Renaissance putti to the bow and arrow carrying Cupid. In particular the Victorians had a true passion for the angel-like figures and ornamented furniture, wall coverings, silver flatware as well as jewelry and headstone memorials. The image was used to convey a spectrum of emotions including romance, love and the loss of a child.
Carved from natural tortoiseshell is a brooch of the head of a winged cherub. Fine features of wavy hair, chubby cheeks and dimples have been delicately rendered. The carved tortoiseshell wings with tiny feather details are honey in color with swatches of dark translucent brown.
Date: Circa 1870.
Measurements: 1-1/2 inches (3.8 cm) in length by 2 inches (5 cm) in width. Weight of 13.3 grams (8.5 dwt).
Condition: Carving is excellent; one tiny crack to the edge at midpoint of the left wing about 1/8 of an inch only visible only magnification; face and nose in fine condition. An original loop is affixed to the bottom which could hold a drop or could be removed if desired.
Origin: Possibly English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.