18th C. Spanish Girandole Earrings
Although developed around the middle of the 17th century, the traditional girandole type of earring with its three-part design of surmount, bow form and suspended three drops continued to evolve during the next century.
Here we have an example circa 1780 which demonstrates that classic chandelier configuration in the “flatter” manner so characteristic of the jewelry from Spain and Portugal. Paste set pieces were becoming more prevalent at this time, yet the Spanish had preceded this trend with its history of insetting rose cut glass forms or faceted glass of an almost mirror-like flat shape. This pair of earrings is crafted from gilt metal with embossed surfaces with glass pieces in the typical closed back settings. Front to back ear wires finish the 18th century ear pendants.
Measurements: 2 inches in length (5 cm) including ear wire and 1-13/16 inches (4.7 cm) without wire by 1 inch (2.5 cm) at the widest. Weight of 12.1 grams (7.8 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Very good; a chip to edges of two pieces of glass; in general glass has a bit of surface wear to edges; on reverse some scratching to gilt surface – see photographs.
Date & Origin: Circa 1780 and is most likely Spanish in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.