Very Scarce Victorian Gothic Revival Necklace
Gothic revival was a reaction to the neoclassicism which had invaded the worlds of art, architecture and jewelry. As so few examples of actual jewelry from the Gothic period existed, Gothic revival designers sought inspiration from architecture. Cathedrals provided characteristic motifs of acanthus leaves and vines, mythical beasts and arches.
This very scarce example of a pendant necklace features an ornate gilt metal pendant replete with cherubic figure against a backdrop of ogival arches. Decidedly structural, pinnacles and scrolls ornament the pendant edge as red colored paste cabochons resembling garnets used sparingly appoint the cardinal signs of the pendant. Please note the tracery and pattern work to the reverse of the pendant and on some links of the chain. The chain itself is a study in neo-gothic forms with vesica piscis elements, acanthus leaves, cherubs, gargoyle faces, flowerheads and even more red paste gem cabochons.
Date: Circa 1850.
Measurements: Chain is 17 inches (43.4 cm) in total length by 11/16 of an inch (1.8 cm) at the widest. Pendant is 1-7/8 inches (4.7 cm) in length by 1-1/16 inches (2.7 cm) at the widest; pendant drops from top of chain to bottom of pendant 3 inch (7.6 cm). Weight of 54.3 grams (29.1 dwt) for pendant and chain.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.