Victorian Prussian Blue: Silver & Enamel Lorgnette
Although there is a reference to a 15th century lorgnette-type of spectacles, it was not until about 1770s what we know today as a lorgnette was invented by Englishman George Adams. His basic design was subsequently refined and developed through the 19th century.
The specimen depicted here is referred to as a “Louis spring” lorgnette. Moving a small button or lever on the side of the handle unlatches a catch secured to a spring mechanism which release the lenses to “spring apart”. The spectacles are closed by sliding one lens onto the other until a click resets the mechanism.
Finely crafted of silver and embellished with deep Prussian blue enamel, pattern of foliate designs and scroll motifs ornaments the tapered handle. The lorgnette is so exceptionally made that even the rims of the lenses and the bridge between them are incised with a delicate design. The decorated silver loop on the end of the handle is used for threading through a ribbon or chain to be worn around the neck.
Measurements: 4-1/8 inches (10.4 cm) in length by 1-1/4 inches (4.3 cm) in width when closed; open from rim to rim is 4-1/16 inches (10.3 cm). Weight of 27.0 grams (17.3 dwt).
Date & Origin: Circa 1890 and is European in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.