Georgian Halley's Comet Cherub Brooch
The time spanning the late Georgian and early Victorian periods can be viewed as a British golden age of art and science. The years spanning this era was replete with new astrological discoveries and art forms. Combining these two aspects is an early Essex crystal brooch of rare subject matter—that of Halley’s Comet.
A cabochon of rock crystal, carved out in reverse depicts a three-dimensional trompe l’oeil image of Eros floating upon a cloud as he aims and readies to shoot love’s arrow into the celestial skies. The deeply carved image is hand painted with deep forest green and cream. Finely rendered, even the expected chubby cheeks of the cherub are apparent. The 15k yellow brooch sports the characteristic tail of the comet and has the reverse intaglio as the body. Small in stature as are almost all comet brooches, especially those from the Georgian era.
Measurements: 1-3/16 inches (3 cm) in length by 7/16 of an inch (1.1 cm) wide. Weight of 1.7 grams (1.1 dwt).
Condition: Very good; minute amount of paint loss to the rock crystal if viewed with a loupe.
Date & Origin: Circa 1835 and is English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.