The Smile of Mme. Pompadour in a Victorian Earring
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson aka Madame de Pompadour aka Marquise de Pompadour was introduced at the court of Louis XV and soon became his official mistress. Beautiful and intelligent, Louis was so enamored with her that he commissioned a diamond to be created especially for her. Rumor had it that the gem with its elongated shape and pointed ends echoed her lips when pursed in a smile. Henceforth the navette cut configuration was known as the “marquise”.
Lighting up to rival the smile of such a magnificent and powerful woman is this pair of late 19th century pendant earrings of luscious 18k rose gold. Luxurious in length yet light in weight, the earrings feature a faceted hollow surmount which suspends a faceted hollow navette pendant drop with a golden ladder-like surround of a matching shape. The articulated interior drop, able to swing freely within the “confines” of the frame ignites the light with the unsurpassed passion which Louis had for his paramour.
Measurements: 1-3/4 inches (4.3 cm) in length including ear wire and 1-1/2 inches (3.8 cm) without by 9/16 of an inch (1.4 cm) in width. Weight of 5.8 grams (3.7 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Excellent with 14k gold modern ear wires.
Date: Circa 1870.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
For Non-Gift Purchases - Our Standard Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.