The Smile of Mme. Pompadour in a Victorian Earring
Jeanne Antoinette Poisson aka Madame de Pompadour aka Marquise de Pompadour was introduced at the court of Louis XV and soon became his official mistress. Beautiful and intelligent, Louis was so enamored with her that he commissioned a diamond to be created especially for her. Rumor had it that the gem with its elongated shape and pointed ends echoed her lips when pursed in a smile. Henceforth the navette cut configuration was known as the “marquise”.
Lighting up to rival the smile of such a magnificent and powerful woman is this pair of late 19th century pendant earrings of luscious 18k rose gold. Luxurious in length yet light in weight, the earrings feature a faceted hollow surmount which suspends a faceted hollow navette pendant drop with a golden ladder-like surround of a matching shape. The articulated interior drop, able to swing freely within the “confines” of the frame ignites the light with the unsurpassed passion which Louis had for his paramour.
Measurements: 1-3/4 inches (4.3 cm) in length including ear wire and 1-1/2 inches (3.8 cm) without by 9/16 of an inch (1.4 cm) in width. Weight of 5.8 grams (3.7 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Excellent with 14k gold modern ear wires.
Date: Circa 1870.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.