Sweet Victorian Scents: Antique Vinaigrette Locket
Although the concept pre-dates the label, the term "vinaigrette" was generally used during the late 18th century to describe a small container, worn or carried about the person which housed an aromatic substance or smelling salts. Although considered by some as a conceit to vanity, the object was an essential accessory for the daily activities of the Victorians which soon evolved from a functional item to a fashionable necessity.
Beautiful in its own right, this 18k yellow gold vinaigrette has been designed as a large oval shaped locket. The front is ornamented with an 8 mm almandine garnet in a gypsy setting with engraved rays emanating from the stone. Diagonal openwork bands with a motif of scrolling ivy symbolizing affection and friendship flank the centered gem. The locket still retains its original bale and a glass cover for the interior compartment is present.
Measurements: 2-1/2 inches (6.3 cm) in length including bale by 1-5/8 inches (3.5 cm) in width. Weight of 23.9 grams (15.4 dwt).
Condition: Excellent; light wear to back commensurate with age and use; closes tightly with light pressure.
Date & Origin: Circa 1880 and is most likely English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
For Non-Gift Purchases - Our Standard Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.