Novelty in a Victorian Bird Nest Earring
From the 1860s through the 1870s a whimsical wave of inspiration swept the English jewelry world. Nature as its source, we find examples that range from birds, fish and to other organic forms all treated with a certain whimsy and color. Rare to find these days (this is the first pair ever for The Three Graces!), these earrings are constructed of silver gilt or vermeil.
Vivid green enamel serves as the color for the leaves, cat tails of silver gilt and a small woven bird nest set amidst the flora. At the center, two natural baroque pearls (untested but assumed natural due to age and examination) are the "eggs" deposited by the mother bird. What could be more evocative?
Date: Circa 1870
Measurements: 1-7/8 inches (4.9 cm) in length by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in width by 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in depth. Weight of 11.4 grams (7.3 dwt) for the pair.
Note: See pages 102 to 103 of the book, "Earrings from Antiquity to the Present" by Mascetti and Triossi for a very similar example.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.