Ancient Roman Fede Ring of Silver
In antiquity it was common to seal a business agreement with an exchange of ring and the contract of “marriage” was treated as such. Consequently it became an established custom to gift a ring as an antecedent confirming the agreement to marry.
Referred to as a fede ring or clasped hands ring in later centuries, during the time of the Romans this type of ring was often referred to as Concordia – for Concord, the goddess of harmony who was worshiped as the bringer of marital harmony.
Here the traditional motif of two right hands one female and the other male, clasped together referred to as “dextrarum iunctio” (giving or joining of right hands) in the first centuries of the Common Era has been crafted of silver rather than of the expected iron.
Measurements: More than 1/4 of an inch (0.7 cm) in width north to south on the hand and rises 1/16 of an inch (0.2 cm) from the finger. Weight of 2.2 grams (1.4 dwt).
Ring Size: US 4-1/2 (UK I; Euro 15-1/4; 48.5 mm) and can be sized. Ring sizing information.
Condition: Good for its age; ring is out of round and medium wear to sides and side detail but cuff and hands still distinct.
Date & Origin: Circa 2nd - 4th century and is Roman in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.