Victorian Micro Mosaic Spaniel Brooch
This is just a magnificent example of the Italian art of micro mosaic work. The mosaic displays a recumbent Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, a namesake of King Charles II. This breed has been very much a part of the aristocratic and royal families of Europe and has been the subject of numerous paintings and tapestries throughout the centuries.
Superbly rendered in subtle hues of brown, cream, tan, green and white, even the smallest details, such as the feathering of the dog’s coat are apparent. The oval shaped plaque has been set onto Venetian goldstone within a silver bezel banded with a braided silver frame. The underside reveals the original brooch fittings.
Measurements: 1-1/2 inches (3.7 cm) in length by 1-3/4 inches (4.4 cm) in width. Weight of 15.5 grams (10.0 dwt).
Hallmarks: Two indistinct European hallmarks on the "C" clasp.
Condition: Excellent; some light scratching to goldstone with two tiny chips visible upon magnification; mosaic excellent with one tile pushed in slightly. Frame is excellent with a later base on the tube hinge.
Date & Origin: Circa 1850 – 1860 and is European in origin. Italian origin for the micro mosaic and surround.
Overall Scale: Medium
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.