Art Nouveau Horn Brooch by Flamand
Best noted for his bronze sculptures, Georges Flamand, a French traditional fine artist and sculptor turned his masterful talents towards the design and creation of jewelry incorporating precious metals and gems to that of the more exotic materials used during the famous Art Nouveau movement of the late 19th and early 20th century.
Following in the manner of this movement, Flamand took great delight in expressing the mysteries of nature using organic material such as horn. Here we see an example of an Art Nouveau interpretation of a simple honey bee. Abstracted into a stylized image, patterns of curving lines produce what may be referred to as “a metaphor of energy in repose”.
The dynamism of the insect is clearly dispatched through the intensity of line and sense of implied movement emphasized by the sheen of a “pearlized” patina on the wings and sepia tones within the crevices of the body, thorax and head. The brass hinge, “C” clasp and steel pin stem on the underside are all original to the brooch.
Measurements: 1-1/4 inches (3.0 cm) in length by 2 inches (5.1 cm) in width. Weight of 2.7 grams (1.8 dwt).
Hallmarks: On reverse “Flamand” impressed into horn.
Date & Origin: Circa 1900 and is French in origin.
Overall Scale: Medium
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.