Victorian Revival Posey Holder Brooch
This delightful brooch is a 1940s version of the lovely Victorian tradition of a wearable posey holder for tiny flowers or a nosegay. Known as a “tussie mussie” holder or “porte bouquet” brooch, this darling accessory was intended to be worn on the bodice of a lady’s dress or blouse or on a man’s lapel close to the nose to ward off the stench from the streets. The traditional posey is composed of fragrant herbs surrounding a rose.
This sterling silver brooch is crafted in the form of a miniature stylized classical Grecian urn. Graceful and slender scrolled handles echo the configuration of the body of the vase. A fluted top and a reeded base conclude the delicate symmetry of the piece. A hinged clip on the reverse treats the clothing respectfully.
Measurements: 2 inches (5.0 cm) in length by 1-7/16 inches (3.6 cm) in width. Weight of 12.1 grams (7.8 dwt).
Hallmarks: Sterling and Monet Sterling. This marked was used from 1937 to 1955.
Condition: Very good; back has a few light scratches and minor wear commensurate with age and use.
Date & Origin: Circa 1940s and is American.
Overall Scale: Medium to large.
Note: Flowers are for illustrative purposes only.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Order by 3 pm CT of the 23rd in Time for Xmas!
Free Upgrade to Overnight!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Standard Money Back No Risk Guarantee
If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, notify us within (3) days of receipt for a full refund. Return shipping is free!
HOLIDAY GUARANTEE 2014
Just write "extended return" in the comments box of your order to qualify! Notify us by December 29th, ship back by January 2nd, 2015.
Standard Return Procedure
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving and holiday options.