Very Scarce Citrine Diamond Bishop's Ring
From early times, Bishops have worn a ring to denote their special office. The first tracing of a Bishop's ring was found about 610 CE. At that time, these rings were always designed around a single stone which was not engraved.
Very scarce, this handmade Bishop’s ring is set with an oval faceted citrine of an approximate 14 carats (19 mm by 14 mm by 10.7 mm) in 14k white over 14k yellow gold framed with a surround of twenty-eight diamonds (27 transitional cuts and 1 old mine cut) of an estimated total diamond weight of 1.5 carats.
The yellow gold mount is embellished with finely detailed pierced and open work. Motifs in the mount include the traditional Lamb of God (Jesus), the miter or headgear of a bishop, the dove or St. Esprit that symbolizes the Holy Spirit, a crosier (pastoral staff) and a gallery of crosses. One is a budded cross with arms ending in a trefoil design representing the Trinity.
Measurements: 1 inch (2.6 cm) in width north to south on the hand, rises 3/8 of an inch (0.9 cm) off the finger and is 13/16 of an inch (2.0 cm) in diameter across the gem. Weight of 18.7 grams (12.0 dwt).
Ring Size: US 6 (UK L-1/2; Euro 16.75, 53 mm) and may be sized; please contact us for details.
Condition: Very good; one diamond replaced with an old mine cut and matched well; evidence of an old resizing and some slight modification to the pattern at the very back.
Date: Circa 1930 - 1940.
Overall Scale: Very large
Note: All diamond and gemstone weights are approximate as the stones have not been removed in order to preserve the integrity of the setting.
Historical Notes: This type of ring was always worn on the middle finger of the Bishop's right hand. It was made in such a manner as to be very visible when the Bishop raised his hand and gave the blessing. The traditional oval shape of the stone was suggested by St. Clement of Alexandria (150 – 220 CE). The oval represents the simplified fish symbol without the extending lines. It is also a Nimbus, which in its shape is a form of radiation of glory. Symbolically the shape of the stone quietly speaks the phrase "God the Son".