Sporting Jewelry: Coral Stickpin for the Hunt
In the second part of the 1600s the round hunting horn emerged. It consisted of a large circular air tube of brass which was carried while riding by placing the arm through the circular portion and hooking it around the shoulder. These horns could generate only one or two pitches; signals were differentiated by rhythm. Hunters had different calls to signal the start of the hunt, to call the hounds and attendants to order, to broadcast a kill as well as others. This is the type of horn which transmuted with the addition of valves into the concert instrument we know today as the French horn.
Coral has been deftly sculpted into the configuration of a hand tipped with an 18k yellow cap and clutching an 18k yellow gold hunting horn. The hand, attached to the typically low carat yellow gold pin with hand turnings on the stem pivots a tad out and back. Accompanying the stickpin is an antique box which may be original.
Date: Circa 1880.
Measurements: 2 inches (5.1 cm) in length by 1/16 of an inch (0.1 cm) in width. The Hand and horn together have a length of 13/16 of an inch (2.2 cm) by 11/16 of an inch (1.8 cm). This antique stickpin pin has a weight of 2.5 grams (1.6 dwt).
Condition: Very good; light wear to engraving of gold cap as commensurate with age and use; natural variations to the coral.
Origin: English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.