Early Silver Gilt Heart Locket
Jewelry can just as easily raise questions as give answers. A late 17th or 18th century silver gilt heart locket when opened reveals silver initials "A A" and then curious entwined letters of "O E". Obviously is a person referred to as A.A., but the conjoined "O E" is a mystery. Is it a reference to an obituary or other abbreviation to mark the passing of an individual? Alternatively, possibly a symbol of love and affection? Or connected because of space limitations? Sentimental in some form, we certainly have a naive and precious token of love.
Each little initial is riveted into the back with pins. On the reverse tiny near perfect circles can be seen. Perhaps revealed as surface wear occurring over long centuries. The tiny bubbles or porosity of the entire surface of the heart from its fabrication remains a part of its history. Even the original top "O" fittings remain to the day.
Measures 1-1/4 inches long with top 2 fittings and 1 inch with only top permanent ring (3.2 cm long or 2.5 cm). Also 5/8 of an inch wide and 5/8 of an inch deep (1.6 cm and 0.8 cm deep). Condition is good; wonderful aged patina with wear to the gilding on the highest points. Darker patina inside. This has not been polished in any way by The Three Graces. Possibly English in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same Day Shipping - Order by 1 pm CST M-F!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back No-Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.