Buttoned Up - Early Silver Cufflinks
The ingenuity of the human mind never ceases to amaze. Having begun life as buttons for a jacket or coat, it is apparent that they were made for a person of some means. Long ago someone opted to redesign and make the buttons into a pair of doubled-faced cufflinks. Perhaps Spanish or French in origin, the thick and deeply cupped shells are constructed of silver. (See the book "Joyas Populares" from the Museo del Peublo for example of earrings with the same motif as a top knot). See also "Bijoux des regions de France" by Claudette Joannis for similar workmanship in a cross on page 174.
With separately cast silver loop shanks attached to the backs, they were then fitted with silver links to form the cufflinks. Accented with a rich deep patina, the surfaces of the buttons display a handsome radial pattern with graduated recessed beading.
Although ideal as modern cufflinks, if desired, the links can easily be returned to their original state as buttons.
Measurements: 5/8 of an inch (1.6 cm) in diameter. Weight of 5.7 grams (3.66 dwt) for the pair.
Condition: Very good; later modification to cufflinks.
Date & Origin: Circa mid to later 18th or early 19th century and is Continental in origin.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.