A Jewel for the Hair - Antique Comb
Hairstyles for the Victorian lady were all about upsweep. Wound and twisted and placed all into a knot. Little waves and a few curls. Arranged in a French twist and affixed with a bejeweled hair comb only that era could have put into existence. To quote McCall’s magazine “The new hair ornaments that form the proper finish for all elaborate hairdressing and without which no evening coiffure is complete, are very artistic and graceful and in most cases extremely becoming.”
Accessories for only the most fashionable of ladies, here is a beautiful example of the hair comb in tortoise shell and gilt metal. Fantastic waves and loops of gilt form a basket weave pattern throughout only to be outdone by an amazingly intricate peacock spray of gilt metal. All banded with a detailed surround. Light playfully moves with abandon across the surface with sparks of glint and glimmer. Flat polished surfaces and textured plaques challenge the circular pattern upon pattern. Swirls of burnt sienna, chestnut and caramel pirouette throughout the tortoise shell only to be enrobed by a jacket of warm, enticing gilt metal.
Measures 3-3/8 inches (8.6 cm) in width and 5 inches (12.5 cm) in length. In near mint condition with light wear to the metalwork. Circa 1870 and most likely English in origin.
Grand in scale, unquestionably tasteful in style for adornment or display.
Forms of Payment
- VISA and MasterCard, Discover and American Express credit & debit cards.
- Personal checks drawn on U.S. banks only - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
- Money orders, cashier's and traveler's checks - Please allow 7 business days for clearance.
Other Forms of Payment
Bank Wire - For international orders and orders of $5,000 and over. Please contact us for more details.
FREE SHIPPING WORLDWIDE!
Same day shipping - Order by 1 pm CST!
FREE for All U.S. Orders - Standard 2-3 Day Shipping.
FREE for All International Orders - Standard 2-7 Day Shipping.
Full details at Shipping & Insurance.
Complete Money Back - No Risk Guarantee
If for any reason whatsoever you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, we will refund the FULL purchase price including U.S. shipping if charged. Remember, there is no charge for our regular shipping service!
International Orders - Due to customs and paperwork requirements, return shipping charges cannot be reimbursed.
- Notify us of your intention to return the item within three (3) days of receipt. You may contact us by email or by telephone.
- Please ship back to us within another two (2) days after we receive notification from you.
- As soon as the item is received, a full refund is issued to you that same day.
More details at Full Guarantee including gift giving options.